Provisional Agenda Malaysia, 6 - 10 October 1997
1. Opening of the meeting.
2. Adoption of the Agenda.
3. Organization of the meeting.
4. Implementation of Decision III/1: Amendment to the Basel Convention.
(a) Outcome of the work of the Technical Working Group on lists of wastes and the applicable procedure for their review or adjustment (Decisions III/1, III/12);
(b) Guidance elements for bilateral, multilateral and regional agreements or arrangements (Decision III/1).
5. Proposals for amendments of annexes and adoption of new annexes.
6. Consideration of the report on capacity building activities within the Convention:
(a) Establishment of regional or Sub-regional Centres for Training and Technology Transfer regarding the management of hazardous wastes and other wastes and the minimization of their generation (Decision III/19);
(b) Training and seminars related to the Basel Convention (Decision III/20);
(c) Current and planned technical assistance activities including for the implementation of Agenda 21 (Decision III/21).
7. Consideration of the report on legal matters:
(a) Liability and Compensation (Decision III/2);
(b) Emergency Fund (Decision III/3);
(c) Monitoring the implementation of and compliance with the obligations set out by the Basel Convention (Decision III/11);
(d) Illegal traffic in hazardous wastes and other wastes (Decision III/5);
(e) Bilateral, multilateral and regional agreements or arrangements (Decision III/9);
(f) Competent Authorities and Focal Points (Decision III/7).
8. Consideration of the report on information exchange activities:
(a) Instruction Manual (Decision III/16);
(b) Transmission of Information (Decision III/17);
(c) Establishment of an Information Management System on Wastes (IMSW) of the Basel Convention (Decision III/18).
9. Consideration of the report on technical matters:
(a) Preparation of draft technical guidelines on hazardous wastes: Physico-chemical treatment and Biological treatment (Decision III/13)
(b) Hazardous waste minimization (Decision III/13)
(c) Proposed work programme of the Technical Working Group for 1998 and 1999-2000.
10. Consideration of the report on international cooperation under the Convention:
(a) Cooperation with UN bodies, specialized agencies and regional systems and organizations (Decision III/26), and others;
(b) Cooperation between the Basel Convention and the activities undertaken at the global level leading to the development of the legally binding instrument on trade in hazardous chemicals including the Prior Informed Consent (PIC) concept (Decision III/27) and Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs).
11. Consideration of the report on institutional, financial and procedural arrangements (Decision III/28) and consideration and adoption of budget for 1999/2000.
12. Other matters.
13. Adoption of the decisions and of the report of the meeting.
14. Closure of the meeting.
We thank the Basel Secretariat for making this document available to us.