Fourth Meeting of the Conference of the Parties to the Basel Convention Malaysia, 6-10 October 1997
UNEP/CHW.4/4 WASTES PLACED ON LIST C AWAITING CLASSIFICATION
Note by the Secretariat
1. Decision III/1 (Amendment to the Basel Convention) and decision III/12 (Hazard characterization) of the third meeting of the Conference of the Parties.
2. At its twelfth session, held in February 1997, the Technical Working Group confirmed that list C is a working list of wastes awaiting classification and that it was for internal use of the Group. The wastes placed on list C are those for which uncertainties prevail as to their hazardousness or any other criteria qualifying their placement on list A or on list B.
3. The wastes placed on list C awaiting classification as agreed by the Technical Working Group at its twelfth session are:
C1 PVC-coated cables /
C2 Fluorinated polymer wastes
- Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) - Ethylene/Tetrafluoroethylene (ETFE) C3 Chlorinated polymer and copolymer wastes
- Polyvinyl chloride - Polyvinylidene chloride C4 Residues arising from industrial waste disposal operations /
III. Proposed action
4. The Conference may wish to:
(a) To consider the wastes placed on list C that are awaiting classification for placement on list A or on list B;
(b) To request its Technical Working Group to review the wastes placed on list C described above as a matter of priority and to propose placement of these wastes on list A or on list B in accordance with the review procedure to be adopted by the Conference at its fourth meeting (UNEP/CHW.4/3).
We thank the Basel Secretariat for making this document available to us.